Is the thought of setting up your website hosting account really overwhelming? Before you have nightmares of wasting an entire naptime getting everything set up, read through these step by step instructions on setting up your hosting plan. In five minutes or less, you’ll be ready to start creating your website.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Web Hosting 101
Before we get started, let’s go over what web hosting is and what you need. Websites have to live somewhere, right? They’re not just living on our computers. Websites live on things called servers, which are really big computers. For those of us who are on more of a MacBook or Chromebook level of computer, we need to rent space on someone’s server for our website. This is where a hosting plan comes in.
Thousands of companies around the world sell plans to people like you and me. How do you decide what company and plan are best for you? If you are just starting out, pick a repudiable company. Shared hosting is a less expensive option that will give you a good place to get started. (Shared hosting just means that your website shares a server with other websites.)
SiteGround offers shared hosting plans for less than $4 a month for the first year. They have great customer service that answers your questions without making you wish you could understand what in the world they’re talking about! They have free daily backups of your website, so you’ll never have to worry about losing your site or messing it up beyond repair. With free email, free SSL, and an easy set up for less than the cost of Netflix, it is the easiest choice you’ll make today.
5 Minute Web Hosting Set Up
- Choose Your Hosting Plan – Unless you plan on having more than one website, the StartUp plan is the perfect plan to start out.
- Choose Your Domain – A domain is your web address (what you type into the browser to pull up your website). You’ll be able to search to see if a domain is available to purchase. Since domains are like the address for your website, there can only be one website per domain.
- Buy Your Plan – Put in your payment information and you’re ready to go!
- Follow SiteGround’s Setup Wizard – Follow the Set-Up Wizard prompts, entering in your domain information.
- Install WordPress with One Click
Select WordPress from the list of software. Then enter your email address and pick a username and password you can remember. This will be your login information for your website.
And that’s it! You’re ready to start with your web design.
If you need help with your web design, reach out! I’m here to help mompreneurs just like you get websites that they’re proud of so they can grow their businesses with confidence. In just two weeks, you could have an awesome website that you love. If you’re ready to get started, let’s talk today!